Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Memories Pt 2: Santa's Helpers



Last week I started a series on my fond Christmas Memories (Blog here)

As a child I had memorized the Rankin Bass mythology and easily debated another first grader on how Kris Kringle chose December 25th to deliver presents in honor of Christ's birthday (see "Santa Claus is Coming to Town) or how Rudolph learned to fly.

Things changed quickly when I was eight-years-old.

In the early afternoon we visited Santa Claus in Greenwood, Indiana and then traveled south, towards home, and again visited Santa near Franklin. Immediately I questioned his ability and, more importantly, his willingness to be in two different places in such a short time.

I was then introduced to a new concept: Santa's helpers.

Somehow the malls and parents were in collusion with Santa to ensure that the massive demands of children were accurately and quickly reported back to the North Pole for processing.

No surprise to those who know me: I was skeptical.

Isn't it funny how we can remember those pivotal moments from our childhood? The loss of our innocence leaves marks in our memories that we never shed and this was one of those moments.








Pic: The world's largest Christmas tree display rises up the slopes of Monte Ingino outside of Gubbio, in Italy's Umbria region. Composed of about 500 lights connected by 40,000 feet of wire, the 'tree' is a modern marvel for an ancient city.

No comments:

Post a Comment