Saturday, April 17, 2010

Star Wars Uncut and the Haters

Originally posted at The Desk of Brian, www.deskofbrian.com: http://sites.google.com/site/thedeskofbrian/pop-culture-other-topics/starwarsuncutthehaters



"Star Wars Uncut" http://starwarsuncut.com/ is a project to have fan film short segments from the original "Star Wars: A New Hope" film, splice them together with the original sound for....well, amusement.




From the site:



Hello!

You and 472 other people have the chance to recreate Star Wars: A
New Hope
.
Below is the entire movie split up into 15 second clips.
Click on one of the scenes to claim it, film it, and upload it. You
can have up to three scenes!
When we're all done, we'll stitch it all together and watch the magic
happen.


You can watch some of the clips of the completed segments.



Star Wars: Uncut Trailer

The Huffington Post report that the film is set to premiere in Copenhagen describing it as "going to be awesome" touting the "Do it Yourself" charm.

I'm not sure I'll go that far, but it looks completely entertaining and a great time. So, with that said, cue the haters.

Sure I don't want to see another George Lucas incarnation of the "Star Wars" films, especially in 3-D. To Lucas I'd say: Let the legacy breathe and work on new material.

Recently however, the "Star Wars" hate squad stated the following on a local website:

I'll never understand the appeal of Star Wars beyond Lucas's ability to
sell the hell out of his brand for every last penny...

The world would be a better place had Star Wars never been made...In
my opinion its a gimmick movie but thats just my opinion...
I think the firs Star Wars wasnt made in mind as a marketing tool. in
fact it was so low budgeted that the studio nor the actors had much
faith in it. was it a gimmick? in a way. Lucas basically couldnt get
Lord Of The Rings or Flash Gordon (or was it Buck Rogers?) off the
ground and i think he knew that his claim to fame was American
Graffitti. so what did he do? easy make an old fashioned sci-fi film
that was one part Lord of the Rings (Obi Wans fate at the hands of Darth
Vader at the loading bay and Gandalfs demise at the hands of the Balrog
at the exit or Moria are exact.) and one part the sci-fi space operas
like Flash Gordon that the American Graffitti loving Baby Boomers used
to watch. that equals a hit. and it was. so maybe it was a gimmivk but
to me it was more of a calculated career move by Lucas.
Star Wars is over-rated, and it is a gimmick movie. Lucas does not have
an original idea in the movie, or in the series. I grew up with Star
Wars, though, so it is a part of my youth, and that is why I love it,
despite its flaws. Star Wars, not counting effects, would not do well if
it were released today.

My first viewing of Star Wars came when I was like...18 or something...I
had seen both Return Of The Jedi and Empire in the theaters when they
were re-released with the new and improved FX (barf!) and thought they
were ok...Its just...Considering the hype built around that movie it was
somewhat disappointing when I finally saw it...I'll always blame Lucas
for being the godfather of modern crappy movies...Or atleast the guy who
hooked it on steroids...

Maybe it's because I wasn't around for the hype surrounding the initial
releae of Star Wars, but the movie doesn't do much for me. I mean, I
like the bar scene as much as the next guy, but I've seen Star Wars
once, maybe twice and that's enough for me.


As I've also asserted: time and place. If you were a child during the "Star Wars" craze, you were consumed into the frenzy. It changed science fiction, it changed the toy industry, the marketing for films, merchandise in meals for kids - "Star Wars" really did change everything.
Gimmick?


I can understand the perspective in hindsight, but it was break through film with blue screen technology and model work that were unprecedented.


I really hope the "Fan Film" actually takes off and gets some sort of distribution because it really does seem like fun.


Seems like a better way to spend a few bucks than lining the pockets of an unrepentant, alcoholic drug addict dressed in a brightly colored iron suit playing a womanizing, alcoholic superhero.





http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/13/star-wars-uncut-fans-recr_n_536332.html?fbwall
Star Wars debate comments from:


http://www.crazedfanboy.com/npcr10/popculturereview523.php

No comments:

Post a Comment